Sunday 24 June 2012

Great Spotted Woodpeckers.

Earlier in the year I found what I thought may be a good nest hole for photographing Great Spotted Woodpeckers. A few weeks ago I returned & was pleased to see it was occupied. The farmer did'nt mind me putting a hide up and I watched & waited untill the young had hatched, and managed some nice shots of the parents taking food in. However timing is everything as on the Sunday morning the noisy chicks were being fed, I could'nt get there on the Monday and when I visited on Tuesday evening the nest was empty, and the farmer had let his cows into the field & they had trashed my hide! Hopefully the young had fledged successfully and were somewhere in the nearby woods.So no pics of the chicks with thier heads looking out being fed. Maybe next year.
Male at nest hole

Male at nest hole

Leaving the nest


Adult female

Adult male

Male feeding juvinile

Juvinile
A pair of Woodpeckers have been regular visitors to the peanut feeder in the garden and taking away mashed up nuts for ther young somewhere nearby, I thought they may come with the juviniles at some time , so set up a log which they would hopefully use, which they duly did & I managed a few O.K. photos , although it always seemed to be dark and rainy.

No comments:

Post a Comment