Wednesday 24 August 2022

The isles of Scilly.

A family holiday on the Scillies in mid summer? I'd visited quite a few times in past autumns and springtimes and the birdlife was always really good with all sorts of rareties and migrants turning up,but finding any birds or any other wildlife in July proved hard going, ( probably partly due to the very hot dry weather and the fact that my companions were not really into the same as me, although to be fair they tried to accommodate my wandering off with my camera) If it had'nt been for a pelagic trip on board the Sapphire on a spectacular evening weatherwise I would'nt have much to report, but that made up for the lack wildlife found on dry land. On that evening we were blessed with what I think is the most stunning sunset I've seen with the added bonus off the moon rising over a serene sea.A big surprise was the sighting of a Fin Whale, the planets second largest mammal ,along with Dolphins, Ocean Sunfish and a Blue Shark which was landed, tagged and quickly released. Birds noted were a distant Sooty Sheatwater. lots of Manx Shearwaters, a few Storm Petrels and many Gannets, Fulmars and Guillemots. Back on dry land insects were conspicious by their absence and the only birds much in evidence were the many House Sparrows and a few Gulls, Oystercatchers and Sandwich Terns. On the last afternoon I found a beach where there was lots of life in the shallows with Seven armed Starfish, Shrimps amd many small fish showing beautifully in the clear water. I have to say though that the scenery was absolutly stunning with a lovely view around every corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment