Tuesday 15 February 2022

A Cornish nature reserve.

I spent most of a day at Walmsley CBWPS reserve and nearby areas, and a great day it turned out to be, the sun was shining and the wildlife kept on giving, always something to see here. The morning started off with the male Ring Necked Duck alongside the usual Tufties ( albieit a little distant to photograph) ,this North American Duck seems to be getting more of an occurance each winter. All of a sudden out of the corner of my eye an Otter just appeared in front of the hide and continued to hunt for food for some time, it was successfully catching Sticklebacks and other prey from below the surface ( snails?),the best views I've had of an Otter for some years and easily the most prolonged view, and all to myself for a lot of the time as well. I would have been happy with this but then eleven Glossy Ibis flew over , circled and landed not far awy, another species that seems to be visiting in increasing numbers each year ( I remember driving miles to see one a few years ago). and finally later on in the day I had the pleasure of watching the beautiful Barn Owl hunting over the marshes, what a fantastic bird and a real privalage to watch. I didn't see the Bittern thats been around for a while but hey thats a good excuse to return ( if I really needed one). Days like these make it all worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment